Angel (エンジェル Enjeru?) is a character in the Tekken series who first appeared in Tekken 2. She is a palette swap of Devil Kazuya in Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament. She later returned in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 with her own character slot and moveset.
Angel first appeared without any storyline explanation, save for the fact that she fights with Devil over Kazuya's dark soul. As she originally was a palette swap and direct clone of Devil Kazuya, many fans have thought her to be a representation of the good in Kazuya. However, according to Katsuhiro Harada, Angel is not a part of Kazuya's soul. It's unknown what happened to Angel since she was not canonically seen after Tekken 2.
A very elusive character in the series, Angel is a rather enigmatic figure. Her heavenly exterior contrasts with a rather brutal and almost terrifying demeanour she has during fights. As a being of light, she seeks to help those who are corrupted by evil. She is shown to be graceful and elegant, but this can juxdapose with a fightening side in which she will shriek and bellow like a wild animal.
Across the series, Angel has acted to save others, utlizing her heavenly powers to keep evil at bay and purify those who might be brainwashed by malignant forces. Overall she is the clear opposite of Devil, although her angelic facade can sometimes be over-ruled by her ferocious and violent emotions.
Version 1: "Angel's existence is entwined with Devil's. Bewitched by Devil, Kazuya's appearance changes from person to person. Some see a jet-black Devil, while others see the brilliant rays of an Angel."
Version 2: "Although Kazuya is seemingly possessed with a black heart, there is still some good left in him. Angel will battle against Devil to save Kazuya".
Ending Description: Angel sits on the ledge of a skyscraper, staring out into the night sky. Suddenly she throws herself off the ledge, becoming engulfed in the fog below. As she falls, the ten original fighters race through her mind. Then ten skeletal hands are placed together in a circle, as if making a pact. Devil appears surrounded by skeletons with wings. Angel breaks through the image and soars into the moonlit sky, orbs of light begin to collect in the palm of her hand that she then sends cascading into the night.
Angel appeared in Tekken Tag Tournament as a playable character.
Ending Description: Angel finds Devil lying unconscious on the ground. Devil transforms back to Kazuya and recovers from the alleged fight as Angel touches Devil's forehead and suddenly disappears.
Angel is a playable character in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 as a DLC character.
Ending Description: Angel and Devil are seen battling in the night sky. Devil fires his laser at Angel but she manages to block it with her wings. Devil then fires a more powerful one. Sensing great evil, she improves her strength instantly. Angel causes a massive wave, knocking Devil from the sky. When Devil is defeated, he returns to Kazuya's normal body in an unconscious condition. A white feather falls onto his back and that feather produces a light to calm Kazuya's dark heart.
Angel appears in the 2017 Tekken comic book, sporting her design from Tekken Tag Tournament 2. It is revealed that sometime prior to the events of Tekken 6, Jin Kazama captured Angel, fearing that her light could stop his crusade to end the Mishima bloodline. Following Jin's disappearance after his clash with Azazel, Heihachi Mishima discovered the captive Angel. Believing that her light could stand against the power of the Devil Gene, he set to work on a scheme to steal her abilities for himself.
When Jin and his comrades raid the archives of the Mishima Zaibatsu to find Angel, a massive brawl with Heihachi's forces ensues, which is further complicated by the arrival of Kazuya. Jin begs Angel for forgiveness, but she spurns him, saying that he and his family are now beyond redemption. Jin transforms into his devil form and battles Angel in the skies above, with the two proving evenly matched. As they engage in a clash of energy beings, Angel says that Jin is the only one who can break the curse of the Mishima bloodline and bring about peace. The beams create an explosion, and when the smoke clears, both fighters have vanished.
In terms of gameplay, Angel was only a female palette swap of Devil in Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament. In Tekken Tag Tournament 2, her fighting style may have similarities to those of Mishima Karate, but now utilizes her own pure animation moveset.
Angel's fighting style resembles Mishima Karate mixed with supernatural powers.
- Kazuya Mishima - She tried to free him from the Devil's and Devil Gene's control.
- Devil - Her archnemesis. Angel fought him to save Kazuya from his corruption in Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- Jun Kazama - As a result of Jun's proximity to Kazuya, Angel seems to have arisen within Kazuya.
- Unknown - Angel frees Jun Kazama from her control in Unknown's Tekken Tag Tournament 2 ending (non-canon).
- Devil Jin - They seem to not like each other, as Angel flies away from him in their TTT2 win pose.
- "Angel" comes from ancient Greek (άγγελος), and the meaning is "bear a message, announce, bring news of".
- While she lacks a voice in Tekken 2 save for a few grunts, Angel gains one in Tekken Tag Tournament, though it is actually a recycled version of Anna Williams' voice from the original Tekken game and Tekken 2, but with a deeper pitch.
- She has her own unique voice in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- Elysium (a character from Soulcalibur V which was also made by Namco) bears a resemblance to Angel in terms of design.
- Angel acts as an alternate costume for Devil.
- In the arcade version, Angel's name is not shown when selected (Devil's name is displayed instead); in the PlayStation port, Angel's name appears.
- If the player fights as Devil in arcade mode, Angel is the final boss.
- Like in Tekken 2, Angel acts as an alternate costume swap for Devil.
- Her ending is similar to Jun Kazama's ending.
- She is the only character that is not used by the computer.
- She now has her own character slot.
- In the console version of the game, Angel is featured in the opening movie.
- She is featured in Unknown's ending, where she will seemingly purify her of her evil.
- Her voice sounds like Anna Williams, but deeper.
- Her panel artwork by the artist JUNNY resembles The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli.
- Angel can shoot a white laser from the tiara gem in the centre of her forehead, reminiscent of the way that Devil shoots a laser from his third eye.
- In Street Fighter X Tekken, the Swap Costume of Rufus (from the Street Fighter series) is based on Angel's design.
- In Tekken Pachislot 3rd, Angel can actually be heard speaking. This is the first time the character has had spoken dialouge in the entire series. (Excluding the Comics)
- ^ a b http://www.tekken-official.jp/tag2/chara/angel.html
- ^ https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/506707542169235456
- ^ https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/45859123815907328
- ^ http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=100103
- ^ https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/tekken2/devil.html