Claudio Serafino (クラウディオ・セラフィーノ Kuraudio Serafīno?) is a character in the Tekken series who was introduced in Tekken 7 as one of the new characters. Claudio originates from Italy and is said to be "the world's strongest exorcist." He leads the organization known as the Archers of Sirius.
Claudio is somewhat sarcastic and cocky, as suggested by his intro quotes that see him calling his opponents either amateurs or an easy win, all while flicking his hair. A number of his poses and entrances have dramatic flair to them, suggesting some pride and vanity to him. One of his victory poses suggests that he can be more empathetic and kind, as he lends a hand to his opponent after they lose against him. However, in another instance, he is also shown to slow clap sarcastically. In both his and Ling Xiaoyu's ending, Claudio shows a sinister side towards his main targets, particularly Devil Gene users such as Jin Kazama, and a willingness to manipulate Xiaoyu's innocent care for Jin in order to achieve his own goals. In the non-canonical Tekken Pachislot 4, Claudio can be seen getting irate and short-tempered when exorcisms do not go well, as compared to a more gentle and compassionate appearance he has when things go his way.
Claudio has almost slate blue eyes which alter when he uses his Sirius-Style Exorcism Sorcery, so that his left eye shines white. He has very dark hair that appears to be dark blue under certain light, and pale skin. His hair is medium length, wavy, and combed back. He is noticeably muscular but is somewhat lean, having a more slim figure in comparison to some of the more bulky male characters like King and Feng Wei. He has a large tattoo on his right arm, which is partially visible through the black bandages (which are secured by a single chain and lock). A similar tattoo can also be seen under his left eye when he uses his powers.
- Main article: Claudio Serafino/Outfits
Claudio's main outfit has him wearing a collared, white frock coat adorned with gold lining and embroidery, and knotwork patterning on the tails. The collar, lapels, and cuff of the coat are black, with white patterns similar to the design on the coat hem. The coat is worn over a formal suit made up of white pleated trousers, which have a ram or goat skull buckle, and a formal gray buttoned vest, over a shirt, which is worn over a torn black undershirt. He also wears white gloves and white blucher-styled shoes with a black vamp featuring the same ram head decoration as his belt. Claudio wears an undone gray tie and a gold chain necklace as accessories. His right arm is bound with black bandages and secured with a chain.
The Archers of Sirius are a group of exorcists who have been banishing supernatural entities from this world since ancient times. A highly secretive organization, its existence is unknown to the public. Although it is not known how their existence was revealed, the Archers of Sirius were suddenly approached by the Mishima Zaibatsu. They were heavy-handedly requested by the Mishima Zaibatsu to join their conglomerate but naturally refused. This did not stop the persistent pressure from the Mishima Zaibatsu, however.
Eventually, the news of this approach from the Mishima Zaibatsu reached the de facto leader of the Archers of Sirius, Claudio Serafino. Determined to uncover the motives behind the Mishima Zaibatsu’s actions, Claudio begins to investigate the powerful conglomerate.
Character Episode Prologue: The Sirius Marksmen, a secret society of exorcists, has exerted a profound influence on European history for hundreds of years. The most powerful exorcist of the current generation is Claudio, who was visiting the Mishima Zaibatsu as their groups join forces to subdue a certain evil.
After sharing information on the targets, Kazuya Mishima and Jin Kazama, Claudio left the control room only to be confronted by a young girl. He was about to call the guards when she demanded to be taken to Jin. A plan sprung to Claudio's mind.
He led her to the roof, and with a grin prepared to face her in combat.
Ending Description: After defeating Xiaoyu, Claudio tells the unconscious girl that she will make wonderful bait for his prey, and activates his powers while ominous music is heard.
After Heihachi Mishima reclaimed the Mishima Zaibatsu, the Archers of Sirius had constantly declined his demands for an alliance. In light of their refusal, Heihachi Mishima himself, accompanied by Nina Williams, visited the Archers' base of operations in Duomo di Sirio, Italy. They fought numerous Marksmen of Sirius as they entered the building, defeating them and marching up to Claudio in his own base. Claudio again declined to join them, stating that the Archers will not bend to a corporation's whims. Heihachi defeated Claudio in battle, forcing him to reconsider, and tempting him with information on the Devil Gene. With little option but to accept, but also with an interest in sharing that goal of eliminating the devils in the Mishima Clan, Claudio joined Heihachi's cause and returned with him to the Zaibatsu headquarters in Tokyo.
At the Mishima Zaibatsu headquarters, Claudio stated he had heard that the devil inside Jin might be more powerful than that of Kazuya. He then shared with Nina and Heihachi that something "inhuman" has been witnessed in the Far East, believing it to be Jin. But his hunch was proven to be incorrect when Tekken Force discovered that Lars Alexandersson had saved Jin in the Middle East and that something different was still out there.
After Heihachi exposed Kazuya's devil form and destroyed G Corporation's Millennium Tower via satellite, Claudio's services were dismissed, much to his disgust. Heihachi expressed that his main goal had been to use the Archers' extensive information network, rather than to employ them for their exorcist abilities.
Claudio uses a solid moveset based on his Sirius abilities. He's relatively fast and has a decent amount of safe moves. He excels in the mid-range, with strong whiff punishes and approach tools.
A mechanic unique to Claudio is Starburst. After hitting the opponent with specific moves, Claudio enters Starburst, granting him access to an array of powerful moves. The attacks MUST hit in order for Claudio to gain Starburst, and performing a Starburst move will consume the powerup and it has to be activated again. It also resets upon a new round.
Claudio's offense is highly effective. He has two fast counter hit moves that lead to a full combo. He has strong pressure tools, especially in Starburst. He has good defense as well, with a handful of his moves (like his hopkick) going under highs, and a Power Crush move that hits mid. Finally, he has a great sidestep game. He has effective tracking moves to deter sidestepping, and his combo out of a hopkick still hits consistently even when off-axis on either side.
Claudio's hopkick deserves further elaboration. It has a high range and Claudio ducks slightly while performing it, making it go under many high attacks and some mid attacks as well. Additionally, despite its high range, Claudio barely moves forward, making it safer compared to other hopkicks which move the character forward.
However, Claudio also has distinct weaknesses. His lows do decent damage, but have specific drawbacks. For example, his sidestep 4 low kick does good damage and is relatively safe on block, but is slow and leaves him standing, thus making it easy to interrupt. His d/b+3 low makes him duck under highs and also has good tracking, but is very unsafe when blocked at close range and does not give frame advantage even on hit. He also has d+2,2, a low that leads to a full combo and is relatively safe on block, but he needs to consume Starburst and it can be blocked by perceptive players. In addition to that, his grabs, wall game, combo strings, and options when the opponent is on the ground are mediocre.
One thing to note is that he has the smallest movelist in Tekken 7. While most of his moves are effective, Claudio players need to be creative as to not be predictable.
In conclusion, his style is solid and provides good damage and effectiveness on both offense and defense as well as having good range but he suffers from mediocre low attacks, grabs, combo strings, and okizeme. His moveset, in general, is effective but limited. Despite this, he stands out as a pretty good, solid character that is relatively easy to pick up and use without much trouble.
Claudio utilizes a discipline called Sirius-Style Purification Sorcery (シリウス流祓魔術 Shiriusu-ryū Harai Majutsu?) which conjures the holy power of Sirius within him to overwhelm his enemies in battle. The style includes punches, kicks, elbow and knee strikes, and shoulder tackles, done in a showy and flamboyant manner.
- Heihachi Mishima - Defeated by him and forced to work for him in Tekken 7.
- Nina Williams - Briefly works alongside her.
- Ling Xiaoyu - His opponent in Tekken 7. Plans to use her as "bait" to lure in Jin.
- Eliza - Eliza seeks his blood.
- Jin Kazama - One of his main targets.
- Kazuya Mishima - One of his main targets.
- Akuma - Claudio's organization had received information about something "inhuman" in the Far East, which Claudio and Heihachi first presumed to be Jin Kazama. However, the source of this power was later revealed to be Akuma.
- Zafina - Zafina seeks to obtain the services of his group of exorcists in order to help her deal with Azazel and to hunt for Kazuya and Jin.
- The surname "Serafino" is the Italian word for "Seraph", a celestial being in Judaism and Christianity.
- The character debut trailer which introduced both him and Katarina gave him the title of "Nova Exorcist" (新星のエクソシスト Shinsei no Ekusoshisuto?).
- Claudio's 'devil'-like tattoo, the motif of chains on his right arm that seal away more tattoos and from which the power for his Sirius-Style Exorcism Sorcery emanates, along with some of his voice lines where he notes that he may have "gone too far" could suggest that his power is demonic in origin. It is possible that the Archers of Sirius harness the power of the demons they exorcise and use these powers against the demons themselves. The English and Japanese for this fighting style ("sorcery"/"Ma-jutsu ", 魔術) have connotations of evil magic.
- Chains first appeared as important in devil-related lore in Tekken 4 where Heihachi Mishima claimed that particular chains could suppress the Devil Gene, where the more saturated one was with the Devil Gene, the stronger their effect. Since then chains have been a repeated motif for Devil Jin.
- The swirling black tattoo pattern that Claudio gains bears a resemblance to Devil Jin's tattoos, and to a tattoo in the Duomo library that is modeled on Azazel's skull. It also has some resemblance to Shin Kamiya's arm tattoo in Tekken: Blood Vengeance.
- A devil connection is further reiterated by the presence of a statue resembling the Roman goddess Diana in Duomo di Sirio, patron of archers, and, in Medieval Italian folklore, Queen of Witches and consort to devils.
- Claudio's design overwhelmingly features demonic skull designs, such as on his belt buckle, on his back, on his shoes, and in the embroidery of his coat sleeves (as can be seen in his concept art).
- He carries a key attached to his jacket, and there is a lock over the wraps on his arm, suggesting the power there in some way must be restrained and locked away.
- Claudio's white-clad appearance and the light arrow projectile that he fires during his Rage Art are both reminiscent of Quincy, a type of character from the manga and anime series Bleach.
- Seven of Claudio's moves are named after the Seven Deadly Sins in Latin. Namely: Superbia (スペルビア Superubia, Pride), Ira (イラ Ira, Wrath), Luxuria (ルクスリア Rakusuria, Lust), Gula (グラ Gura, Gluttony), Avaritia (アワリティア Awaritia, Avarice), Invidia (インヴィディア Invidia, Envy) and Accedia (アケディア Akedia, Sloth).
- Changing Claudio's hit effects (except the comic effects and Taiko no Tatsujin effects) will change the color of his Starburst energy, this is better seen during his Rage Art.
- Claudio seems to have quite a few moves derived from Anna Williams. His db3 is very similar to Anna, however his is weaker since it will only knock down on counter hit. His sidestepping 4 kick is also quite similar to her df4 Wine Opener move as well.
- Claudio has the smallest number of moves in the game with a total of 57 moves not including sample combos.
- Claudio stands as "ITA" ("Italian") in the game files.
- A direct continuation of Claudio's ending with Xiaoyu can be found in Tekken Pachislot 4. In the game, Claudio attempts to purify Jin Kazama of his devil with Ling Xiaoyu's help.
- In Tekken Pachislot 4, Claudio speaks in Japanese, despite only speaking Italian in Tekken 7. It is likely that this is because the Pachislot machines are Japanese-release only though, rather than this being a language Claudio can speak.
- ^ a b http://www.tekken-official.jp/tk7ac/character/claudio.php
- ^ http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2016/8/17/tekken-7-new-stage-story-mode-details-from-gamescom.html
- ^ http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2016/9/8/tekken-7-famitsu-site-opens-story-background-for-new-charact.html
- ^ The pattern bears strong similarity to the markings that appear on Devil Jin.
- ^ https://youtu.be/oCFd7dZCwKQ?t=100
- ^ http://wearetekkenrp.tumblr.com/post/102789203045/small-tidbit-about-claudio-his-face-tattoo-only
- ^ See Trivia section in Duomo di Sirio
- ^ http://www.sunlightyellow.com/tekken7/character/claudio.html