Its most prominent feature is its competitive element, where the objective is to either throw or takedown an opponent to the ground, immobilize or otherwise subdue an opponent with a pin, or force an opponent to submit with a joint lock or a choke.
There are three basic categories of techniques in Judo: nage-waza (投げ技; "throwing techniques"), katame-waza (固技; "grappling techniques") and atemi-waza (当て身技; "striking techniques"). Judo is most known for nage-waza and katame-waza, as striking techniques are not allowed in Judo competition or free practice.
Nage-waza includes all techniques with the aim of throwing or tripping the opponent, usually breaking his balance, then turning in and executing the throw, using the arms, the legs, or a lifting motion from the hips. This can be performed in a standing position or "sacrificing" the upright position in order to perform the move.
Katame-waza includes holding techniques, strangulation and choking techniques, and joint manipulation techniques (in competitive Judo, this is currently limited to elbow joint manipulation).
In the Tekken series
Paul Phoenix's fighting style is listed as a Judo-based hybrid system of martial arts. The influence of Judo can be seen in his throws, reversal techniques and ground grappling. His use of striking techniques could be interpreted as his style being old-school Judo, specifically, Judo before atemi-waza or striking techniques were removed from it's syllabus.
- Paul Phoenix
- Mokujin - Through mimicry.
- Tetsujin - Through mimicry.
- Combot - Tekken 4 only; through mimicry.
- Unknown - Tekken Tag Tournament only; through mimicry
- Kinjin - Through mimicry.
- Judo has been one of the primary martial arts displayed in Mixed Martial Arts competitions since MMA’s inception, and one of the most prominent training bases for the grappling side of the competition. Many MMA fights are ended by submission holds most of which derive from Judo. For example, Ronda Rousey who is 12-2 in the UFC and a former champion made extensive use of the armbar. She also earned a bronze medal in the 2008 Olympics for judo.
- Judo practitioners from other fighting games franchises include Goh Hinogami from the Virtua Fighter series, and Jubei Yamada from the Fatal Fury series. Many other characters such as Ryu from Street Fighter series also make use of Judo throwing techniques despite not using it as their primary fighting style.
- Judo at Wikipedia.