Julia Chang (ジュリア・チャン Juria Chan?) is a video game character in the Tekken series. She is the adopted daughter of Michelle Chang, who taught her how to fight, which is why they share the same fighting style. Julia first appeared in Tekken 3, and since then has appeared in all subsequent release, as well as appearing as her alter-ego, a Luchadora named Jaycee (ジェイシー Jeishī?), in Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Julia has replaced Michelle in the Tekken series, with her character taking the latter's moveset. Julia hopes to one day reforest Arizona, which is where the Chang Family live.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Story
- 3 Other Appearances
- 4 Gameplay
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Character Relationships
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Navigation
Julia's life got off to an inauspicious start; born to unknown parentage, she was abandoned as a baby in the ruins of a Native American settlement. Her fortunes changed, however, when she was found by Michelle Chang, a young woman from a native tribe who adopted her and raised her as her own. Julia grew up with a strong love for her adoptive mother and tribe, and was taught to fight so that she could protect her homeland. Julia also developed a fascination for her tribes heritage, and began studying archaeology to learn more about her forefathers.
As Julia neared her eighteenth birthday, stories started to reach the tribe of martial artists disappearing around the globe. Fearing that tribal tales of the God of Fighting were coming true and that her pendant was somehow connected, Michelle headed to Japan to find Heihachi Mishima and ask him what he knew about the pendant and why he had sought it previously. When she did not return, Julia suspected foul play from Heihachi and entered the third King of Iron Fist Tournament to rescue her mother. As the tournament reached its finale, Julia successfully rescued Michelle and learned that Heihachi had used Michelle's pendant to fully awaken Ogre, the God of Fighting in an ancient Aztec temple. Julia initially wanted revenge against Heihachi, but Michelle persuaded her to return home peacefully.
After the events of the third tournament, Julia's priorities changed; upon learning that the encroaching desert would soon consume her homeland, she began researching ways to restore the global ecosystem. This led her to join a team of researchers led by Professor T at the G Corporation headquarters, where the project, named GENOCELL, progressed well. Unfortunately for Julia, the laboratories were attacked by the Mishima Zaibatsu and her research was stolen, prompting her to enter the fourth King of Iron Fist tournament in an attempt to retrieve the data. While she was unsuccessful, she did catch the attention of Ganryu, a Sumo wrestler who fell in love with her due to her resemblance to her mother Michelle, whom Ganryu had fallen in love with twenty years previously, during the second King of Iron Fist tournament. This led him to join Julia in the fifth King of Iron Fist tournament, in the hopes of recovering the data and winning her heart. While Ganryu succeeds in finding the data, Julia remained dismissive of his affection.
With the forest rejuvenation data back in her possession, Julia returns home to realize her dreams of reforesting her homeland. Her plans take a back seat, however, when she learns of a greater threat to humanity - if Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi's son and Jin Kazama, who both carry the Devil Gene, are allowed to clash, a great evil will be resurrected and unleashed upon the world. Sensing the danger to mankind, Julia entered the sixth King of Iron Fist tournament to help prevent the meeting that threatens the world.
She later became a video blogger about the seventh tournament, though it's unclear if she officially entered or not.
Julia is a very kind woman with a strong love for her adoptive mother Michelle, as well as her tribe and homeland. In turn, Julia is very brave in the face of danger, and will stand her ground and fight for the side of good in order to protect the people and things she cares about. Julia is also intelligent, as her passion for her homeland led her to study archaeology, and her time spent researching forest rejuvenation taught her a great deal about natural sciences and information technology. Julia's commitment to good causes tend to take precedence over her own personal life, to such a degree that she seems oblivious to the affection shown to her by others, most noticeably Ganryu, whose love has long gone unrequited.
In Tekken 7, as an internet celebrity (she dons a tablet computer in one of her intros), Julia's personality has become a bit bubblier and perkier; she is somewhat more hyperactive and boisterous than in previous Tekken installments. She even leans on the fourth wall in one of her outros by telling the player (or viewer, if they're watching on YouTube), "Don't forget to subscribe!"
Julia is a Native American woman with brown eyes and long brown hair, braided down the back and typically fastened with colorful hairbands while styled into bangs to each side of her face. Being of Native American descent, much of the jewelry and accessories worn by Julia are of traditional Native American design or contain patterning in keeping with her heritage, and she can often be seen wearing a headdress with feathers tucked into the side.
- Main article: Julia Chang/Outfits
Julia's most recognizable outfit, which serves as her primary outfit in all but Tekken 4, is her Native American attire. Similar to Michelle's primary outfit in earlier games in the series, Julia wears a denim miniskirt, a vest exposing her midriff and colorful boots bearing ornate designs. While colors and styles may vary, these core components remain. Her primary outfit in Tekken 4 saw her wearing green shorts, matching boots and a black vest.
Julia's secondary outfits have varied throughout the series, but one constant is that she wears jeans and boots of varying colors and designs. On her upper body, Julia has worn differing vests, jackets and short sleeved shirts of various colors and designs, some of which bore more intricate patterning in later releases in the series.
Julia studies archaeology in Michelle Chang's tribal lands. As a baby, Julia was deserted in the ruins of ancient Native American settlement, where Michelle found her. Michelle rescued Julia and brought her up with love. Julia loved Michelle and her adopted tribe and trained with Michelle to protect her beloved homeland.
When Julia was 18, stories of sudden disappearances of famous martial artists all over the world began to reach the tribe.
With apprehension spreading through the tribe, Michelle left for Japan to ask Heihachi Mishima why he had sought to take the pendant during the second tournament. Michelle hoped to learn about the origin of Ogre's power but she never returned. Julia suspected Heihachi and now seeks him out to discover the truth.
Having defeated Ogre, Julia calls out for Michelle, who stumbles into view from an upper area before falling to the ground. Julia rushes to her mother's aid, after which Michelle explains that the key to controlling Ogre is her pendant, and that awakening him was Heihachi's evil plan. Julia swears revenge on Heihachi, but Michelle reminds her that hatred is not the answer, and that she taught Julia to fight "to protect mother earth, not to destroy it". After this, Michelle and Julia return home to Arizona. Strangely, Julia's ending in Tekken 3 is the only one to include voice acting.
Julia was a college student studying archaeology. One day, she discovered that her native homeland was in danger of being covered by an encroaching desert; this was brought on by today's rapidly changing global ecosystem. Julia wanted to save her home, and she began her research on ecosystem restoration.
Julia joined an advanced genetic research group led by Professor T that studied the biological mechanism of reforestation. Professor T's research grant came almost exclusively from G Corporation. In fact, G Corporation's supercomputers, located at their high security research center, were being used for the research, and all of the research data was stored on their file servers.
Julia was absorbed in her daily research, waiting for the day when her research on ecosystem restoration would be complete. When the research was completed, she would save her home.
One day, Julia learned from Professor T that their project was on hold indefinitely. The Mishima Zaibatsu attacked G Corporation's high security research center and stole all their project data. Julia didn't know a thing about G Corporation's secret research projects nor did she care about them. Yet she knew that she had to retrieve her data from the Mishima Zaibatsu in order to save her home from becoming a desert in a few years time.
Julia searched the net to gather information regarding the Mishima Zaibatsu. Her eyes lit up when she saw a web page announcing The King of Iron Fist Tournament 4.
Prologue: Realizing that her native homeland would soon be in danger of the encroaching desert, Julia began her research on ecosystem restoration in hopes of saving it. The research group she joined was funded exclusively by G Corporation. In fact, all research was conducted at G Corporation's maximum security labs, and all data was stored there as well. However, one day,the project was placed on indefinite hold, the Mishima Zaibatsu had attacked G Corporation's maximum-security labs and stolen all the research data. Julia neither knew nor cared about the Mishima Zaibatsu, but in order to prevent her home from becoming a desert in a few years' time, she had to retrieve the research data. Julia searched the Net for informationon the Mishima Zaibatsu. Her eyes lit up when she saw a webpage announcing the King of Iron Fist Tournament 4.
Julia wins the tournament and takes over the Mishima Zaibatsu, gaining access to her stolen data, as well as all of of G Corporations research and the Mishima Zaibatsu's cutting edge technology, increasing her hopes of reforesting her homeland. As Julia works through the computers data, she discovers Dr. Abel's project to use GENOCELL to fuse human and devil genes, just as Dr. Abel enters and explains his work. Horrified that her research will be used for such purposes, Julia deletes the files, despite the fact that this will end her dreams of reforestation. This angers Dr. Abel, and he opens fire with a handgun, but Julia is able to dodge the gunfire and flee the lab. Julia returns to Arizona and, despite this latest setback, swears that one day she will reforest the land.
Julia Chang continues her research on forest rejuvenation. Disappointed that she was unable to recover the reforestation data during the King Of Iron Fist Tournament 4, Julia returns home and resumes her research. Each time her work hits a dead end, she is reminded of the data that she was unable to retrieve.
At that point she received a letter addressed to her in a foreign language. Attached is an announcement of The King Of Iron Fist Tournament 5.
In order to fulfill her hopes of forest rejuvenation, Julia decides to enter the tournament.
Prologue (Manual Version): Julia Chang, disappointed that she was unable to recover the reforestation data during the King of Iron Fist Tournament 4, returned home and resumed her research.
Each time her research hit a dead end, she was reminded of the data she was unable to retrieve. At that point, she received a letter addressed to her in a foreign language.
Attached was an announcement of the King of Iron Fist TOurnament 5. In order to fulfill her hopes for forest rejuvenation, Julia decided to enter the tournament.
After successfully retrieving her forest rejuvenation data, Julia built a lab in Arizona so that she could devote herself to her research. The Arizona desert, however, was not a good climate for her research, and her experiments were a failure. One day, having fallen asleep at her desk, Julia dreams of walking through a lush green forest. Upon awakening, Julia gets up and walks to her lab where she notices that, in one of the glass incubation jars, one of the seedlings has started to grow. Overcome with happiness, Julia clutches the jar and drops to her knees, envisioning herself in the forest from her dream.
After recovering her stolen data, Julia completed her reforestation research. She was headed back to Arizona to meet with a party who had agreed to assist in the realization of her reforestation plans.
Waiting for her there was a prominent Arizona land owner, an old woman who claimed to have the ability to hear the voice of spirits. With the help of the old woman, the reforestation plans were on track to be realized. However, when Julia got up to leave, the old woman made an ominous prediction. "Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima must not be allowed to clash. If they confront each other, a source of great evil will be resurrected and unleashed on the Earth".
Julia was skeptical of the old lady's prediction. However, after hearing news that the Mishima Zaibatsu has sponsored The King of Iron Fist Tournament 6 on the flight home, the danger seemed much more imminent. Julia decided that she would enter the tournament.
The scene begins with an eagle soaring up to a rock upon which Julia is climbing. Suddenly, a piece of a rock Julia is holding onto breaks, causing her to fall. Fortunately, she grabs ahold of a lower piece while falling. With a leap of confidence, she jumps back up the rock. As she reaches the top, she exclaims, "Wow, it's beautiful... Absolutely breath-taking." as she looks at the peaceful scenery.
Julia has a brief appearance in the Scenario Campaign, where she works as a mole in the G Corporation, feeding vital information to Lee Chaolan. When this is revealed, she is later locked in a room by the G Corporation members. She is later rescued by Lars and Alisa.
Julia was announced at Tekken World Tour Finals 2018 at December 2, 2018. She will be released alongside the guest character Negan on 28th February 2019.
As her alter-ego, Jaycee revealed to be canon, it also revealed that her job as this substitute wrestler persona is too good, causing this persona rebranded as a heel wrestler, due to being too strong, which cause the fans to hate Jaycee. As a result, she left the ring and changed her image so people wouldn't recognize her, now sporting a more modest hairstyle and glasses. Julia returns to her reforestation project and decides to kickstart it via donations, but so far only a few people are interested. One day, after her former boss Kazuya was revealed to the world to be a devil, Julia decides to use this opportunity to gain traction for her reforestation fund by becoming a professional streamer, entering the 7th tournament and broadcasting her fights and adventures into new territories live.
Julia appeared as a playable character in Tekken Tag Tournament. She retains her moveset from Tekken 3.
Julia and her mother Michelle are both sitting down, staring at a sunset. Michelle briefly converses with Julia before Julia stands up to stretch while smiling. This ending takes place in one of Eddy Gordo's stages.
Julia appeared as a playable character in the crossover game, Street Fighter X Tekken. Her tag partner is Bob.
Julia appears in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, disguised as a luchadora named Jaycee. Her real form can also be chosen.
As Julia was taught to fight by her adoptive mother, her fighting style is almost identical to Michelle's. Julia's moveset is made up of ranged kicks and fast strikes, many of which can be linked into other attacks, allowing multiple variations of similar moves. While Julia is weaker than the average character, this unpredictability combined with her speed can make her an effective character in the hands of a skilled player.
Julia has a wide range of attacks that cover all height ranges, and as many of her attacks are fast and able to be chained into other attacks, it is possible to deal large amounts of damage through juggles and combos. Julia's range of attacks also make her a good character to force errors from opponents, and her versatile moveset can be beneficial in breaking the guard of more defensive opponents.
While it takes time to learn her more complex attack patterns, it is worth persevering as her agility and fast attacks allow her to evade opponents attacks while keeping them at bay and wearing them down with ranged strikes, making her a good character for players with a more technical playing style.
In Tekken 7, Julia maintains her moves but gaining new moves to her arsenal. She is also utilizes the move similar to the Windmill Kick. Her Rage Art is similar to Leo Kliesen's Rage Art but in a different movement; Julia happily strikes her pose and lands a heavy blow to stun her opponents then hitting them with two punches as the last blow sending her opponent in a little distance with a heavy elbow in a different position after she salutes.
Julia's fighting style is a mixture of various Chinese martial arts, such as Xin Yi Liu He Quan and Baji Quan, among others. She also uses various wrestling maneuvers, such as suplexes and a Death Valley Driver (named Death Valley Bomb in the games).
- Julia Chang/Tekken 3 Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken Card Challenge Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken Tag Tournament Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken 4 Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken 5 Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken 6 Movelist
- Julia Chang/Street Fighter X Tekken Movelist
- Julia Chang/Tekken 7 Movelist
- Jaycee - Her (non-canon) Luchadora alter-ego in Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
- Michelle Chang - Her adoptive mother.
- Mr. Chang - Her adoptive grandfather.
- Mrs. Chang - Her adoptive grandmother.
- Ganryu - He has been in love with Julia since Tekken 5. Julia does not reciprocate this and find him creepy.
- Lee Chaolan - Her friend and acquaintance in the Scenario Campaign in Tekken 6. Lee funded some of her research prior to Tekken 6, and Julia was spying on G Corporation for him. Lee persuaded Lars to rescue her from G Corporation when her disloyalty was discovered.
- Kazuya Mishima - Her former boss. Whilst working under him in Tekken 6, she secretly fed information to Lee Chaolan about his company's exploits, until she was discovered and Kazuya had her detained. After his devil form was exposed in a public broadcast during his fight against Akuma by the Mishima Zaibatsu in Tekken 7, she was motivated to use her video live streaming even further to expose the truth behind the crisis of the world. Kazuya was also responsible for kidnapping Julia's grandmother, Mrs. Chang, during the second tournament.
- Lars Alexandersson - Rescued her from G Corporation, who had incarcerated her once they realised she was leaking information to Lee Chaolan in Tekken 6 Scenario Campaign.
- Alisa Bosconovitch - Helped Lars rescue her from G Corporation.
- Heihachi Mishima - Her enemy since Tekken 3, ever since he kidnapped her mother, Michelle. Heihachi also had her grandfather, Mr. Chang, murdered.
- Ogre - Her tribe told legends about him. Her amulet is connect to him.
- Doctor Abel - He almost succeeded in using Julia's re-forestation project, GENOCELL, to merge devil cells with human cells in his Devil-Human Integration Program.
- Professor T - Her boss in Tekken 4, and leader research of G Corporation's biogenetic engineering project, GENOCELL.
- King II - Seems to be a friend of his since she showed concern about him going after Marduk in Tekken 5.
- Azazel - In her (non-canon) Tekken 6 playthrough, she believes Azazel's Temple and appearance resemble Ogre.
- Bob - Her hired bounty hunter, friend and tag partner in Street Fighter X Tekken. Unlike Ganryu, Julia considers Bob very charming, in term of his very positive personality during their team ending (non-canon).
- It is possible that part of Julia's Tekken 5 ending may be canonical, since in the PSP prologue to Tekken 6, it is stated that she has successfully reforested parts of Arizona, and it is mentioned in Ganryu's story that he had recovered the data for her. These forests are seen in her Tekken 6 ending. Her Tekken 7 profile says she needs funds to continue her reforestation project, though it is not clear at what stage of success the project is at.
- Unlike almost every other female character, Julia punches her opponent while she is mounted on them after a tackle; the female characters usually slap their opponent.
- Julia is the only female character who has a second back throw.
- Unlike the majority of female characters, she does not pose during a Ki charge, and she cannot back-flip with u/b,b.
- To unlock Julia, the game must be beaten twice.
- Julia's ending is the only ending to have actual dialogue in it, and it was also the first time proper dialogue was featured in a Tekken game.
- Julia's bosses in the Tekken Force minigame are (in order of appearance) King, Eddy Gordo, Jin Kazama, and Heihachi Mishima.
- Julia's sub-boss is Ogre. If Ogre is not available then it is Heihachi.
- Julia is playable after beating the game six times.
- She appears in Ganryu's ending, wearing her Player 2 outfit.
- Her primary outfit in Tekken 5 is an updated version of her primary outfit from Tekken 3.
- Julia reveals that some of her funding has come from Violet Systems in her Scenario Campaign Dialogues, and in the canonical playthrough, Lee reveals that Julia has been working as a spy for him within G Corporation.
- In her Scenario Campaign playthrough Julia admits that she is aware of the human experimentation G Corporation performs, although she thought all such programs had been shut down.
- Her suspect loyalty to G Corporation is the topic of her dialogue with Bruce Irvin in her playthrough, who accuses her of betraying G Corp.
- Julia is the only G Corporation aligned character who fights other G Corporation members and has dialogues at their stages.
- Julia's Stage 1 and Stage 2 opponents in Scenario Campaign's "Arena" mode are Ganryu and Bruce Irvin.
- Unlike the majority of Tekken 6 characters, Julia is not a boss in the Scenario Campaign mode. Instead, Lars Alexandersson (or another character of the player's choosing) and Alisa Bosconovitch must fight off the G Corporation forces holding her hostage.
- The outfit she wears in her Tekken 6 ending is one of the outfits she wears in Tekken 4 with the exception of her footwear; she wears boots in Tekken 4 and sneakers in the ending.
- Julia's item move has her plant a sapling. Her second item move causes her Armlock Suplex to bury the opponent if it K.O.s them.
- Like Anna and Marduk, Julia's old and new quotes are now redubbed by her current voice actress, Stephanie Sheh as her normal voice became in a child-like pitch while her battle grunts performed by Annie Wood were retained who had a more normal pitch. Both of their voices were completely different during the collaboration.
- Her Rage Art is similar to Leo's but in different movement as they share the last blow to make a heavy elbow on their opponent despite their elbowing are in a different position.
- Julia has one new pre-fight and two new win animations in the game. Her pre-fight animation resembles her adoptive mother Michelle's one in her recent appearance in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, while her first win animation has her tell the players to subscribe to her after performing a few of her fighting moves, which references the subscribing of content creators to follow them in various social media. Her second win animation has her accidentally do a Jaycee pose with her hand which she then corrects into a wave while apologizing.
- Her old win animation is now her pre-fight animation as she speaks in a different quote.
- Julia's rivals in Tekken Card Challenge are Heihachi Mishima, Eddy Gordo, and King II.
- In Death by Degrees, in the locker room on the Kometa ship, there is a poster of Julia Chang.
- In Street Fighter X Tekken, Elena's Swap Costume is Julia's outfit.
- In Tekken: Blood Vengeance, Julia's dossier is briefly seen when Anna Williams opens a file containing dossiers of various persons of interest.