The Journalist acts as the narrator of the Tekken 7: Fated Retribution Story Mode. The unnamed journalist was originally a war correspondent, reporting on the war between the Mishima Zaibatsu and G Corporation. He lost his family due to the destruction of a city in the war started by Jin Kazama. The Journalist seeks to research the Mishima Clan during the events of the King of Iron Fist Tournament 7.
The Journalist is a caucasian man with short brown hair, a stubble beard and moustache, and glasses. His full face and eyes are never shown, with all shots of him being angled away, or cast in heavy light or shadow. He usually wears an informal suit, with an unbuttoned shirt, sometimes with a vest and jacket. During his time as a war correspondent, he can be seen in an armored vest with 'PRESS' written on the back and a helment.
After the destruction of his home, the Journalist begins his research on the Mishimas whilst living in a small hotel room. Seeking to know the answers behind the prolonged conflict, the Journalist begins by learning about the Zaibatsu's origins as an armaments manufacturer under Jinpachi Mishima, and the company's more peaceful route taken after World War Two. He learns about Heihachi Mishima's coup to take the company from his father, and that in the same year, Heihachi killed his wife Kazumi Mishima (née Hachijo), and threw his young son, Kazuya Mishima, off a cliff. The Journalist is later approached by Lee Chaolan, who tells him more about the Mishima family, and introduces him to Lars Alexandersson.
On seeing Jin's recovered body at a Violet Systems facility, The Journalist considers killing him, but is prevented from doing so by Lars. Lars tells him that, although he understands his reasons, he needs Jin to live so that he can stop the war he started. The Journalist is with Lars, Lee and Alisa Bosconovitch when the Mishima Zaibatsu broadcasts footage of Kazuya in his devil form. An Orbital Satellite then destroys G Corporation's Millennium Tower, and, at some point afterwards, Kazuya shoots down the satellite in retaliation. An unknown source claims that the Mishima Zaibatsu are responsible for their own satellite falling out of orbit, and the subsequent destruction as it falls to earth turns public opinion against the Zaibatsu.
Unconvinced by G Corporation's now good reputation, The Journalist goes to the Mishima Zaibatsu, and tries the blackmail them into setting up a meeting with Heihachi Mishima for him. He is initially turned away, but later is escorted to meet Heihachi. In a secret location, Heihachi grants the Journalist an interview, filling in the gaps of the Mishima Family history. Heihachi reveals that his wife, Kazumi, possessed the Devil Gene that Kazuya and Jin now have, and that he killed her after she attacked him in the family dojo. After telling The Journalist his history, Heihachi reveals that he knows The Journalist is working with Lars and his rebel army, Yggdrasil. He orders Tekken Force to get rid of him. The Journalist has one last request as he's dragged away - he asks Heihachi what the war means to him. Heihachi ignores the question and a Tekken Force soldier knocks The Journalist out. The Journalist is awoken by Lars, who has been called by Heihachi to pick him up. The Journalist returns to Violet Systems and watches via a spy satellite alongside Lars, Alisa and Lee as the final battle between Heihachi and his son, Kazuya Mishima, takes place at the volcanic pit.
The Journalist is last seen typing about the confrontation between both father and son, and the current state of humanity’s war against an evil unidentified life-form that resembles Devil Kazuya. He turns off the lamp once he's done typing his report. He hopes that the information will be able to reveal the truth, though at a more peaceful time.
- Lee Chaolan - The Journalist met Lee and was helped in his research by him. Lee harbored him, leant him resources, and introduced him to Lars. The Journalist expresses an admiration for Lee and his elegance a number of times.
- Lars Alexandersson - The Journalist was introduced to Lars by Lee, and briefly lived along side him and his rebel army at Violet Systems. Lars prevented him from killing Jin whilst he was comatose.
- Heihachi Mishima - The Journalist is investigating Heihachi's past. He meets with him during his research and is told Heihachi's version of the Mishima Family history.
- Jin Kazama - The Journalist despises Jin for starting the war that killed his family. He considers killing him and picks up a weapon to do so, but is stopped by Lars.
- Kazuya Mishima - The Journalist is investigating him and his family history.
- Kazumi Mishima - The Journalist discovered Kazumi's past whilst unearthing the Mishima family history.
- The reporter's face is never shown.
- The Journalist speaks American-accented English in all releases of Tekken 7, possibly indicating that he is of American origin.